The United States government mandates the EDV 2025 Diversity Visa program, which allows people from countries with low rates of immigration to the U.S. to apply for a diversity visa (green card). Each year, up to 55,000 diversity visas are available through the program. If you meet the eligibility requirements, you can submit an application between October 1 and November 5, 2024 for the EDV-2025 program. Here is a step-by-step guide on how to apply.
Eligibility for the EDV-2025 Program
To be eligible for a diversity visa, you must meet these requirements:
- You must be a native of one of the countries whose natives qualify for the diversity visa program. Check the State Department’s website for the list of eligible countries.
- You must have a high school education or its equivalent.
- You must have at least two years of work experience in an occupation that requires at least two years of training in the past five years.
- You must not be ineligible under the grounds of ineligibility specified by the U.S. immigration law.
You can include your spouse and children in your entry for the EDV 2025 Diversity Visa program if they meet certain requirements. Check the eligibility requirements carefully to make sure you qualify before applying.
Gather Required Documents
To complete your EDV application, you will need to submit:
- A recent photo (taken within the last 6 months) that meets the digital image requirements.
- Your valid, unexpired passport. Make sure your passport is valid for at least 8 months beyond November 5, 2025.
- Information about your education and work experience to show you meet the requirements.
- Your spouse and children’s documentation if you want to include them.
Start gathering these documents early so your application is ready to go when registration opens.
Submit Your Entry
The EDV-2025 program is only open for applications during a 30-day period from October 1 to November 5, 2024. The entry period always falls in the fiscal year two years before the actual diversity visas are issued.
During the registration period:
- Go to the EDV website at www.dvprogram.state.gov.
- Click the “Submit Entry” button to start your application.
- Provide the required information about yourself and your spouse/children if applicable. Make sure all names match the documents exactly.
- Upload your photo according to the digital image requirements.
- Double check your entry for accuracy before submitting.
You can only submit one entry per person during each registration period. Submitting more than one will disqualify you. After submitting, print and save the confirmation page that contains your confirmation number. You will need this number to check if you are selected.
Check If You Are Selected
Once the entry period closes, the State Department will randomly select applicants through a computer-generated lottery. You can check if you were selected starting May 5, 2025 on the EDV website.
To check your status:
- Return to the EDV website during the check period.
- Enter your unique confirmation number and personal details.
- Click the “Check Status” button.
- You will receive a notification of selection if you were chosen or non-selection if you were not.
If you are selected in the EDV-2025 Diversity Visa program, it does not guarantee you will receive a diversity visa, but it moves you to the next step in the process.
Apply for Visa
If selected, you will be invited to complete the formal diversity visa application process. You must act within the allotted time frame to complete the following steps:
- Submit the DS-260 immigrant visa electronic application.
- Schedule and complete your visa interview at the U.S. embassy or consulate in your home country.
- Obtain required medical examination.
- Provide any other requested documentation.
You should follow the instructions carefully and complete all steps promptly to increase your chances of being issued a visa before they run out if you are selected in the EDV-2025 Diversity Visa program. Visas are limited and issued on a first come, first served basis.
The EDV-2025 diversity visa registration period will be here before you know it. Review the eligibility requirements now and start gathering the necessary documents so you are ready to submit your entry right when registration opens on October 1, 2024. With proper preparation, you can maximize your chances of being selected and moving forward to complete the visa application process. The reward is the opportunity to immigrate to the United States through the diversity visa program.