Forgetting your Slack password can be frustrating, but it’s a common problem with an easy solution. Whether you simply want to change your existing password or have completely forgotten your login credentials, resetting your Slack password is a straightforward process. In this article, we’ll walk you through the steps to change or reset your Slack password from a computer, mobile device, or by contacting Slack support.
Prerequisites for Resetting Your Slack Password
Before starting the Slackpassword reset process, make sure you have:
- Access to the email address associated with your Slack account. This is where the password reset link will be sent.
- An internet connection on the device you want to reset the password from.
- Your Slack workspace name. This is the custom name you chose when creating your Slack team (e.g. “acme-company”).
If you don’t have your workspace name, try signing in on the Slack website with your email address. Slack will show you the workspace name associated with that email address.
How to Reset Your Slack Password on a Computer
Resetting your password via a computer is easy and only takes a few minutes. Here are the steps:
- Go to the Slack login page at slack.com. Click “Forgot your password?” underneath the password field.
- Enter the email address associated with your Slack account and click Reset.
- Check your email inbox for a message from Slack with the subject “Reset your Slack password”.
- Click the Reset Password button in the email. This will open a new browser window.
- Enter your new password and confirm it.
- Click Change Password to finish resetting your password.
Once you click the reset link, you have 1 hour to change your password before it expires. After changing your password, you can log in to Slack immediately using your new credentials.
How to Reset Your Slack Password on Mobile
You can also easily reset your Slack password via the mobile app for iOS or Android. Here’s how:
- Open the Slack mobile app and tap Sign in.
- Tap “Forgot your password?” below the password field.
- Enter the email address associated with your Slack account and tap Reset.
- Check your email inbox for a reset message from Slack. Tap the Reset Password button.
- This will open the Slack app. Enter your new password and confirm it.
- Tap Change Password to finish resetting your password.
Log in using your new password once the reset is complete.
Resetting Your Password by Contacting Slack Support
If you can’t access your email or have trouble with the automated password reset, you can contact Slack directly to reset your password:
- Go to slack.com and click “Sign in” in the upper right.
- Click “Trouble signing in?” below the password field.
- Enter your email address and click Email to have a password reset link emailed to you.
- If you don’t receive the email, click “Try another way” and then Contact Support.
- Select Account Support and explain that you need your password reset.
- A Slack support team member will then contact you to verify your identity and reset your password manually.
Resetting your password via Slack support may take 1-2 business days but ensures you can regain access to your account.
How to Change Your Slack Password
If you haven’t forgotten your password but want to change it for security reasons, you can easily do so:
- Log in to your Slack workspace at slack.com or in the mobile app.
- Click your workspace name in the top left corner.
- Select Preferences from the menu.
- Click Password on the left sidebar.
- Enter your current valid password.
- Type your new password and confirm it.
- Click Save new password to change it.
Your new password will take effect immediately across all your Slack login methods.
Tips for Creating a Strong Slack Password
When resetting or changing your Slack password, make sure your new password is strong:
- At least 8 characters long
- Includes uppercase and lowercase letters
- Includes numbers and symbols
- Doesn’t contain personal info or common words
- Is unique from old passwords
You can use password managers like LastPass or 1Password to generate and store strong, random passwords for added security. Enabling two-factor authentication on your Slack account also helps protect it.
Recovering Access to Your Workspace
If you don’t remember the workspace name associated with your email address, you may need to recover access by contacting Slack support. Provide as many details as possible, such as:
- The email address registered with the lost workspace
- Names of coworkers also in the workspace
- When the workspace was created
- Credit card or billing information if a paid Slack plan was used
With enough verifiable information, the Slack support team can recover and grant you access to your lost workspace.
Forgotten passwords are a nuisance but easily fixed when you know the different ways to reset your Slack password. Whether you forgot your credentials or just want to improve your password security, you can get back into Slack and change your password in just a few minutes. Using strong unique passwords and enabling two-factor authentication ensures you won’t get locked out again.